Sunday, February 28, 2016
I'm a bit too tired to make a proper blog entry, but I wanted to get this up before the end of the month. I've been to Vietnam and then Peru since my latest post, all in the last two weeks. But I have made some progress nonetheless.
Both necks are carved and the one for the piccolo is attached. The soprano is bound, since it's a cedar top. It has a few wash coats of shellac but I plan to use lacquer to protect this insanely dentable wood.
And a pic with everything flipped.
Saturday, February 13, 2016
I'm building a soprano of walnut and cedar. My customer has asked for cedar since he likes the sound of the one I built for BaronK, my friend Robin that is. I planed the soundboard to thickness instead of sanding it, and chose braces and bridge patch from reclaimed wood. The pieces come from an old piano and a hundred year old loom (that I cut up).
But on Robin's uke I put a single tone bar as well, so in order to replicate that I'll put one on this one as well.
With a lamp behind it I can clearly see how to shape the brace. It needs to fit the dome I introduced when I glued in the bridge patch.
And once it's curved I glue it in.
Here's where we're at. Bridge blanks are planed and ready for carving. The soprano neck has an ebony reinforcement stripe and a headplate to match the back and sides.
Closest to the camera is a bunch of fretboards I prepared. Laburnum, rosewood, mystery wood and lilac.
No, wait - here's where we're really at. I glued the sides to the soundboard. And I glued the cross grain strip to the seam of the back as well.
Sunday, February 7, 2016
The new year has seen me shipping two ukes already, and I am currently working on four more; a piccolo, two resos, and a soprano of walnut and cedar. I've done the rather tedious job of thickness sanding all the wood (plus a large number of fretboards) so it'll be the pleasant wind-in-the-back feeling of assembly for a while. I didn't sand the cedar though, that was hand planed to thickness.
Yesterday I made the braces for the piccolo, and put the neck block and the kerfed linings in the bent sides. I made the braces from old wood reclaimed from a loom, lovely stuff.