Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder

Monday, June 11, 2018

Piccolo, back glued on

Just a quick report of what I did this morning before running off to the office. 

I clamped the piccolo on the workboard with the matching solera insert. I shim the neck to get the correct angle, this is held by the back. Determining the height of that shim was very complicated so I store it in a safe place. 



With a mdf caul I clamp the back with slats of wood geld down by long screws with wingnuts. 



And after clamping I check for squeeze out around the body with a mirror. 




Saturday, June 9, 2018

Mock lute soundboard and piccolo assembly

Having done the back of the mock lute I started on a spruce soundboard. I needed to access the innards of the body to reinforce some seams of tricky geometry, that’s why I build backwards this time. 

A sharp number 4 plane with a cambered blade rushes through the wood as if it was a thick dairy product. Butter or cheese. 



Then I made the rosette channel with my rosette cutter, easily the coolest tool I ever invested [rather heavily] in. Two cuts with a knife-like blade, then some routing with a narrow chisel blade. 



I bent a mahogany strip on my secondary bending iron. It’s a huge soldering iron with a tip for, I think, de-horning cows. It gets crazy hot really fast so I have it plugged in for a couple of minutes tops. 



After some fiddling it fit, the strip is 0.5 mm so four turns to fill the 2 mm slot. 



I glued with thin, and after that medium ca glue. Here’s me paring it down once the glue is dry. With a Narex paring chisel. 



Bracing in the go bar deck, after this pic I added a single brace across the bridge patch to secure the dome in the soundboard. 



And some miniature plane action. Of cöurse!



While the glue on the rosette dried I marked out a centerline on the cherry piccolo, and matched the neck to the body. Avoiding sandpaper means you have to have sharp scrapers so I had to build a sharpening jig for my Stewmac ultimate scraper. 



And here it is after assembly. The still square lute soundboard behind it reveals the jumbled timeline, but hey - it’s my blog and you can cry if you want to. 




Sunday, June 3, 2018

Piccolo neck carved, and progress on mock lute

I carved the neck for the piccolo in progress, as always my favourite task during any build. I started out by making recesses as entry and exit points. 



The rasp makes short work of it, at the heel and at the headstock end. This piece of cherry has a bit of figure to it, and is quite hard. 



Then with a couple of different spokeshaves (but mostly this small one) I connect the recesses, keeping the width and creating the slight v-shape that I favour. 



Ta-daa! It was over much too soon. Around twenty minutes and that was working slow on purpose to make it last longer. 



Then I bent a couple of walnut pieces to close the back of the mock lute. I’m not a hundred percent sure of my strategy yet, it will become clear in a few days. 



Here are the pieces clamped to the rest of the mock lute, the joints were ok but needed some adjustments afterwards.