Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: 4/1/10 - 5/1/10

Friday, April 30, 2010

Full frontal

After hesitating a while I decided to reveal the "fancy inlaywork" on
the fretboard. What better way to mark the 3rd, 5th, 7th and 10th
fret? You have to count fast though to get it right.

Fretboard glued on pineapple

I am struggling hard not to remove the clamps, but I think they can
sit there while I'm at work. Then the glue will be clamped for 24 hours.

I'll buy some better shellac today, and then it's just bridge, nut and
tuners! The uke might be ready til the next installment of Robert
Hultman's Ukulelekabaré!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Alli's tenor up next

With Simon's piccolo done, and Markus' pineapple awaiting parts, I
cleared some of the mess(es) and started the alder tenor I'm making
for Alli.

I sanded the parts last week, so all the worst parts are done.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

International logistics

Sven, our busy manager of logistics and sales, has loaded his vehicle
with ukes number 15 and 16 for a hurried drop-off at the royal post.

When asked about the greatest challenges of his work, Sven smiles and
says (not without a boyish charm, but an iron will and a stern resolve
is obvious): "Getting these little masterpieces to their new home in
one [master]piece!"

Gotta hand it to the wondrous gang at Argapa - they combine
professionalism and a relaxed search for good times, at all times...

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pineapple continues

Yes it is time to finish Markus' pineapple. It's not that much left
actually. Just the back and the fretboard (on which Markus wants some
big ass inlay work...).

Back braces got installed today. Most builders glue them to the back,
but this way suits my manner of doing things.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bridge clamped on piccolo

Well I got some time off today too, so I installed the frets and made
and glued the bridge on this one. It's already my fifth piccolo, but
the first three were more or less prototypes. But numbers two and
three are good, maybe I'll see if someone wants them cheap.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Piccolo for SRC

The case Simon made is in the mail, and as I promised to return it
with the uke inside I'd better get a move on. Today I sanded the sides
(yes, it was between my legs) and cut the fret slots. Maybe I can fret
it and glue the bridge tomorrow if I get the time.

Alder uke strung up!

Ok, it's not ready ready, it needs some work on the finish and I need
some Aquila concert strings. But I needed to set it up in order to
make the nut and the saddle.

And guess what - it kicks the little square ass of my beloved number
one! I'll make a short vid in a while, just need to sort the kids.