Saturday, December 6, 2008
Friday, December 5, 2008
An old c-clamp was suitable as bridge clamp. Also the reamer through
headstock. I'm in a hurry as Jukka and a few others are coming by
tomorrow. It would be sweet if it was nearly done by then.
Must find the oil!
Thursday, December 4, 2008
cut was 1.2 mm. So I took the 1 mm blade and went with bar frets. It
worked like å charm - the slotting jig, the fretting, the shaping of
the ends, and the glue-up. This is a pic of the dry run, without
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
what I'll see through the soundhole once I get the chance to look.
Could be a small mess in there.
I'm considering a jatoba fretboard. A dense and quite heavy wood of
almost the same colour as the rest.
day of this build. I put the neck and back braces on, but forgot to
take pics. Now I'm getting ready to put the back on, then it's
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Saturday, November 29, 2008
Friday, November 28, 2008
bandsaw, but during childrens hour on tv I cut three pieces with a
couple of japanese hand saws - in the pic you can see them laminated
together lengthwise. And I finished shaping the braces and the bridge
patch, so I glued the sides to the top.
It's a wound no-name string, probably C. And as I was wrapping the
string it struck me that I forgot to put a dozen small screws around
the edge of the solera... I will do that before fitting the back.
I think progress has been good this week. Hopefully I can get the neck
going during the weekend.
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Monday, November 24, 2008
up". But it struck me that it would be easier to shape together with
the sides if it would have been turned 90 degrees. Must ask about this
on some forums.
You can see the scorching on the side to the left, or if it is a
miscolouring from the metal on my bending form.
And I need to decide if the lining and braces should be from the same
board, or if bass wood and spruce are better.
scorched on the inside. This surprised me as the heat blanket was on
top. But it is possible to sand so now I've cut the sides and aim for
glueing the blocks after the kids have gone to sleep. Or maybe tomorrow.
Sunday, November 23, 2008
second decent one with 1.4 mm (bent with the wrong side out though!),
and the third piece that I'm gonna bend tonight. I had to wrap the wet
wood in tin foil to stop it from drying out too quickly during the
Thursday, October 30, 2008
shining surface. I must try to avoid sanding. The machine was easy to
use, relatively quiet and it's made for really small dimensions. As
for scale - the pieces in the pic are 80 mm wide.
Saturday, October 25, 2008
did a crap job at sharpening it - and I'm on my way! This was just a
small piece enough for a (or just maybe two) bookmatched top, it's
been around since the 1960s when my dad bought it.
More updates will follow, if the dayjob allows.
Thursday, October 23, 2008
And here you can see the extremely small german machines I expect so much of. A table saw and a thickness plane for small dimensions. Remember, these are to be used in my apartment. Bigger things will still be made at my dad's workshop where my full size equipment is checked in.
I must fit them with some old vacuum cleaner for dust and shavings.
...and here you can see it with the cabinet open. An extra pair of swinging "doors" provide capacity.
This has taken me so many hours. Most of the tools have custom made holders and hooks. And on the tabletop you can see a jig like one of the many Pete Howlett shows in his excellent instructional videos on youtube. If you haven't seen them, close this window and go directly to youtube!
Well since the iPhone has such a nasty camera I took some photos with a real one, so these are posted from the computer. I feel like such a novice.
But anyway, on the pic you can see the small ultra compact workshop for building ukuleles that I now have in the basement. Workbench with drawer from Clas Ohlson, cheapo wooden cabinet from IKEA.
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
on hold as we try to complete the shop in the newly expanded
apartment. It will however be worth the wait, and if I have any
readers left I promise to give you some exciting but low-res pics of
the Soprano project!