Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Resawing wood for two sopranos

Friday, January 9, 2009

Resawing wood for two sopranos

Things have been said about the capacity of my small Proxxon machines. Of course they're small - but they're very handy for resawing in the downstairs living room. This was a 50 year old piece of Honduran mahogany measuring 35x12 centimeters, 12 mm thick. And after cutting the last bit with a japanese hand saw it will become tops and backs for two ukuleles!

2 comments:

David Messent said...

Can I ask which tool you're using for resawing? From your other posts it looks like you don't yet have a bandsaw. I love your blog and your approach to luthiery!

Sven Nyström, Argapa said...

Hi David, in the big shop (my dad's) I do have a bandsaw. It's not properly set up though, and I'm having a hard time resawing wood. New blade will perhaps solve it.

When resawing at hom I slice both sides with my Proxxon table saw, that leaves 20 mm in the middle which I have to saw through with hand saws.

Since my thickness plane limits the widths to 80 mm the soprano body is about 158 mm at the widest!

Thanks for the kind words.

Sven