Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Ripping wood for mr Monteleone

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Ripping wood for mr Monteleone



Why keep good news secret? Patsy has asked me to build a mahogany and spruce uke in my piccolo size. And I managed to find a scrap piece of my highly valued 1960's mahogany, the same plank as my own soprano and a few others are made from.

The piece is about the right size.


I planed the edges and scored deeply with a marking gauge. 


Then, with my Pax rip saw, I started to cut from the corners. 


And look, three pieces from a 14 mm board. That's better than I could hope for with my bandsaw at this time - it's wobbly and the driving belt just broke. 




Buy a Pax rip saw, join the 19th century (it's a bit lonely here).



1 comment:

Patsy Monteleone said...

Wow! I really enjoy reading about your working process, but to see it happen with a uke that'll be mine, well, that's special. Good luck with it, and I'll be watching.... x