Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: An amp in between ukes

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

An amp in between ukes

Hiya, sorry for not posting in a while. I hurt my knee and lost, well, the spring in my step. But I have made some stuff in the shop. I bought the amp part for an old guitar combo amp for very small money, and needed a caninet for it. Luckily I had some boards at hand. 



I went at them with a number 4 1/2 plane with a heavily cambered iron, as on a proper scrub plane. Going across the grain is super fast. 



Then I cleaned up all the ends with the shooting board and my number 5 Record plane, which is upgraded with a Hock iron. 



The the really fun part, dovetailing all the corners. I used the exaggerated 14 degree joint but I think I’ll work with a lesser angle next time. 



I glued a 5 mm mdf board to a 4 mm plywood to give the front some rigidity. 



And here’s a shot of me cleaning up the joints with my Veritas apron plane. 



I took some 7x7 mm strips and stuck them together with brown paper tape, so they stayes together while I scored, sawed and chiseled out down to the middle. The aim of course was to make a half lapped lattice. 



And here it is after putting the amp and speaker in. The really cool thing about it is it sounds great, both on clean and overdrive settings. 




No comments: