Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: More Fugly Travellers

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

More Fugly Travellers

I’m away on a work trip right now but wanted to share a few pics from last week. I started shaping the neck on the first of the walnut travel ukes. No jig is necessary because of the body ’shape’. 



I finally got me a Shinto saw rasp. Incredibly efficient and the smooth surface it leaves behind belies the aggressive wood removal. But I mostly used the spokeshaves that I’m so used to. 



I slot the neck with the piccolo jig, using it in the same way. But on the piccolos the 12th fret is at the body joint, on this uke I look more at the space at the nut end, getting it long enough. The bridge placement is less of an issue on these. 



I prepare the first fret end, filing off the tang at an angle and shaping the end to a parabolical shape. 



Then I measure it, doubling the distance I want at the edges at one end and cutting it flush at the other side. 



Then I take care of the newly cut end, careful not to shorten it too much. I always start at the 12th because if a fret gets too short I just use it in the next slot toward the nut. (I made a few ukes before coming up with this idea and wasted many frets.)



And then I place it in the slot, trying to get equal distance to the edge at both sides, and press it in with my Stewmac Ripoff fret press. 




No comments: