Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Travel ukes, planing the soundboard

Monday, August 12, 2019

Travel ukes, planing the soundboard

Briefly back at the home workshop, I hogged out the curvy bits with the small bandsaw and made the straight cuts with hand saws. 



Starting out the soundboard was 3.2 mm. I want to take that down to around half. This was the main idea behind the new order of oprations, as it was risky to use the router plane for the last bit when the remaining wood was thin and fragile. Well it turned out this was hard too. 



I used a well fitting caul under the soundboard to prop it up, but fit some padding on it. That was a mistake as it flexed and the plane took more from the edges than from the middle. I might be able to save the ash blank but it’ll probably be a keeper. 



The walnut blank turned out more even but had some rather difficult reversing grain, so I had to use the Veritas cabinet scraper to remedy some tear out. 




1 comment:

Beginner Ukuleles said...

Hi Sven - It's always fun seeing how other builders do things! I'm in the process of building some ukes with my father. Our brand is Palm Tree Ukuleles. He's built around 100 ukes since 2004. This is my first time helping him--it's a lot more involved than I ever could have imagined :) Anyway, keep up the good work!

-Sean