Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Restoring a rip saw, and carving a spoon

Friday, July 24, 2020

Restoring a rip saw, and carving a spoon

Another flea market saw to rescue. This is an old Swedish Sandvik, old enough to be labelled ”Sandvikens Jernverks AB”.  It’s grimy, somewhat rusty, and the handle needs a bit of a touch-up. 

I’m building a shallow tray from some scrap wood. 



I lined the tray with plastic and put the saw in a vinegar bath to see if it would dissolve the rust. 



After a while bubbles formed, and the rust turned gooey. Most of it came off with some scrubbing. I didn’t do it too hard because of the etched markings. I’d like to keep those intact. 



I scraped the handle clean and strengthened the wood around the screw holes with some thin superglue. 



And here it is. A couple of coats of oil on the handle and it’s ready for sharpening. The rest of the spots and blotches on the blade are flat and smooth and shouldn’t interfere with sawing. With a bit of luck some of them will disappear. 



I also carved a spoon. Much trickier than expected. It turned out ok but I will make another to see if I can improve. 




1 comment:

Howlin' Hobbit said...

I have a friend from Pike Place Market (now retired) who is a treen artist. we have several of his spoons, spatulas, etc. they're beautiful and functional art.