Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Neck work

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Neck work

I found a solid lump of cherry, strangely L-shaped. I planed the upper face to get a tenor length neck. The plan was to then bandsaw out the blank but alas, the blade on my bandsaw was dull. 

I was about to saw perpendicular stop cuts down to the line and chisel away the waste, but then I saw another neck in there. 



So this is what I had to resort to. A rickety frame saw and an hour of fun. 



I got the two blanks out but as you can see by the middle clamp, the contour was a bit of a mess. I started out by making the entry and exit points with the rasp. 

No - actually I started by planing the back of the headstock. Doing things in the correct order saves time. 



But then it was time for the spokeshaves, connecting the entry and exit points. This is so much fun. 



Here’s the first one, for the soprano resonator. 



And the one for the tenor. That one got a wee volute. 



And number three, for Li’s acoustic soprano. Mahogany and cherry are both great woods to carve. 




2 comments:

Frazer said...

Hey Sven, I like that you got both reso necks from the same piece of wood; true twins!

Slapheid said...

Hey Sven, I'm loving watching the process of building and your 'work arounds' when one method isn't working as well as you would like. I'm looking forward to seeing the resonator in the flesh so to speak!

med vänliga hälsningar

The Good Twin

ps if the Swedish translation doesn't mean 'all the best' - blame google!