Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Tuners and string holders

Thursday, January 28, 2021

Tuners and string holders

I fit my resos with metal tuners. They look the part, work well and they offset the weight a bit from the body and its hardware. Using the pilot hole that’s there already I use a countersink drill to make the stepped holes. 



Et voila, almost all of them in place. 



Then the string holders. I mean, forget about those gnarly string holes through the coverplate. I struggle to find a pair of scissors as effective as those. A wee scrap piece of cherry will work with the necks. I start shaping the profile with a chisel I restored a while back. 



With a roughly sketched profile on the end I continue with a rip saw...



... and then a couple of planes. 



I carve the underside to an arc and finish the shaping with sandpaper laid on the coverplate. 



When I use darker woods such as rosewood or ebony I give them a coat of wax at most, but this being cherry I dip them in shellac. They are attached from the underside with screws that I cut off to length. 



And here we are. What’s left? How about nuts, coverplate mounting holes and preferrably a quick re-entering by Scotland into the EU. No biggie. 





1 comment:

Slapheid said...

Great work Sven the resos are looking fantastic! I'm working on Scotland re-entering EU but I've misplaced the large copper dish for my time machine. Mr Wells schematics leave a lot to be desired. Brexit was such a good idea .... Köp inte grisen i säcken

In another time (I know you like a pun) I would have enjoyed a trip to Sweden to pick it up but sadly Covid has put the mockers on that too so let's hope I can play a ukulele that's wrapped in red tape .....

The world is going to be three ukes better off soon, that's something you should be proud of, keep up the great work.

ps I hope I used the correct Swedish proverb about being careful of rash decisions - if not - blame Google!

pps We Scots would call Brexit a bourach
(boor·ach) Dialect, chiefly Scot ~n. A disorganised heap or mass

ppps in this case Brexit is a total f***ing bourach