Saturday, August 11, 2012
Episode IV, a new hope
Others have turned out really really good. But I need to think about my routines.
So for the upcoming season I promise myself not to build when I'm not in a good mood. I'll not build for others than I want to. I'll make sure to finish stuff I've started ages ago.
This week I upgraded the workshop / workbench by mounting the solera on the wall, and the go-bar deck is stabilized by hooks that the threaded rods go through when they're attached to the board. It made a big difference.
The solera-free workbench is also secured to the two walls in its corner, so it won't rock when I plane stuff.
And on to the pics then - on the solera is the first soprano with a one-piece rim, it'll be a cedar top mahogany uke with binding around the soundboard. (I tell you about it so I can't chicken out of binding it.) The uke is the first in a long time that isn't ordered, I just felt like building a soprano with a softwood top.
If it's any good I'll put it up for sale. (If the binding's good that is...)
And in the other pic, you can see a resonator! I got cones and coverplates from Chickenbone John in England. The first one I finish will go to Arizona, Brian has helped me out for years now.
But the coverplates have those holes for the strings, I'll probably make a stringholder across them to save the nylon strings from snapping.
Stay tuned, I can promise all of you that some great ukes will be made now!
Upplagd av Sven Nyström kl. 7:01 PM