Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Thicknessing headstocks

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Thicknessing headstocks

I know, I have always said I prefer to do this with chisels and small hand planes. But these resonators will have metal friction tuners instead of the usual violin pegs and it is a great advantage if the front and back sides are parallel.

So I tore out ye olde shoppe made drum sander, the modified lathe. And that worked so well I'm tempted to forgive its shortcomings when it came to sanding soundboards.

I also spent some time with an RO sander so the bodies are more or less done.

Now where did I put those fretboards..?

4 comments:

Brian Newman said...

Is thicknessing even a real word?

Sven Nyström, Argapa said...

Ain't that what happened to your head? Oh wait - that would've been thickening.

Brian Newman said...

Oh, yeah? Go sand a neck.

Neil M. Miller said...

Good handmade product!How much time you take to prepare a violin?