Sunday, January 27, 2013
So I tore out ye olde shoppe made drum sander, the modified lathe. And that worked so well I'm tempted to forgive its shortcomings when it came to sanding soundboards.
I also spent some time with an RO sander so the bodies are more or less done.
Now where did I put those fretboards..?
Saturday, January 19, 2013
I'll wait until I get back from Palestine and Austria before I start on the fretboards.
Resonators are so fiddly. After you've done all the hard work it's time to start improvising around the bought hardware.
Upplagd av Sven Nyström kl. 3:43 PM
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
But yesterday I had an hour to spare so I finished carving with a short two-handled knife. Kind of like those failsafe launch buttons in movies, which require two operators. Then I sanded, a lot more than I usually do. Wouldn't have been possible without the excellent dust mask I got for christmas from my wife - both wenge and walnut are awful to have in your nose.
You can also see on the wenge neck the recess I cut into the heel. Alignment and angle are crucial for these resos, and it's far easier to achieve a good fit if you make that recess.
Both necks will be bolted on with barrel bolts.
Upplagd av Sven Nyström kl. 6:36 PM
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
And I'm in no hurry really, remember this uke is un-ordered since a while back. So this morning only the top got a coat. And the peghead.
Thursday, January 3, 2013
It's solid brass. That's right, solid. Brass. It's heavy, or as they say in tool porn; hefty.
In the pics I use it to cut a 150 mm diameter hole in a walnut top for a resonator uke, and I'm gonna use it for the small soundports as well.
And to boot, Micheal made me a special cutter steel for a narrow rosette channel, so I haven't any excuses left for not making my first rosette!
Fanx Micheal, and of course Allen.