Friday, November 28, 2014
Inlays, the presumed hard way
Last night I found the fretboard for the koa soprano, and started thinking about inlays. I decided to put a shardvof broken mother of pearl at the seventh fret, and in preparation for routing the cavity I glued it on with a drop of ca glue.
Then I scored around it with a Swiss marking knife, very pointy and sharp. Like my boots.
Then off it popped, leaving the traced line around the contour.
But it was too late to fire up the router. Still I wanted progress. So out came the small chisel. And I made the line deeper and started digging in.
And after five minutes and without the increase in heart rate that my router inevitably gives me, the cavity was done. The piece fitted snugly.
Add glue, a piece of plastic and press it down!
Then this morning I drilled for 2 mm pearl dots, again without using power tools. My miniature drill works just as fast.
I'll still have use for my Proxxon drill, but mush less. If I didn't need it with its angle attachment when I mount piccolo necks I'd put it on ebay.