Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Piccolo neck carved, and progress on mock lute

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Piccolo neck carved, and progress on mock lute

I carved the neck for the piccolo in progress, as always my favourite task during any build. I started out by making recesses as entry and exit points. 



The rasp makes short work of it, at the heel and at the headstock end. This piece of cherry has a bit of figure to it, and is quite hard. 



Then with a couple of different spokeshaves (but mostly this small one) I connect the recesses, keeping the width and creating the slight v-shape that I favour. 



Ta-daa! It was over much too soon. Around twenty minutes and that was working slow on purpose to make it last longer. 



Then I bent a couple of walnut pieces to close the back of the mock lute. I’m not a hundred percent sure of my strategy yet, it will become clear in a few days. 



Here are the pieces clamped to the rest of the mock lute, the joints were ok but needed some adjustments afterwards. 




No comments: