Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: More holes!

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

More holes!

The connection points between wood and strings; holes. On my first couple of travel ukes I made ferrules but those were very fiddly to get right. Often a small burr on an edge would tear the string without being seen. So I think this is a better way. 

I’ve been away last week so there’s not a heap of progress to show today but some. First is me chamfering the edges of the holes through the bridge, with my wee pin wise. 



Then I made holes in the pegs. I forgot to take pics of fitting the pegs but I’m pretty sure I did that with the last one. 



And last, the most tricky holes. The ones at the nut end, going through to the round back of the neck. I can’t drill them straight down, then the outer ones would burst out on the sides of the neck. And if I aim towards the middle I’m afraid they’ll collide. So I aim the outer ones towards the middle, and the middle holes are slanted to exit a bit further from the nut. If all works they should form a nice arch at the back. 

Well, here’s the front. 




No comments: