Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: More prögress on the travellers

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

More prögress on the travellers

I finished the travel uke you’ve seen me working on, but instead of taking pics I wrapped it up for shipping! Stupid, I know, but it meant I had to crack on with the other I have on the bench. Starting out by carving the neck, I opted to skip the entry point carve and go directly for some spokeshave action.

In the pic you see my Miller’s Falls cigar spokeshave, a cylindrical kind that is extremely fiddly to sharpen and set up. In fact I haven’t had that much success with it before, but this time my mindset must have been just right because it worked wonderfully. The point of the cigar shape is of course that you can do very tight inner radii curves.



And it leaves a fine surface. This’ll go into the zero sanding series.



The straight Stanley spokeshave and the Little Victor plane also helped, can’t remember if the small wooden spokeshave saw any action. In the pic it’s hiding under the wooden rule.



But later that day I thought better than I did in the morning and unravelled the packing on the finished Argapa 114. Just to show you.



The hollowed out backside is a bit rough. I need a spear point blade for my Record router, I imagine it would cut more cleanly.



The last two pics were taken at the office btw. You won’t find carpet like that at home. 

No comments: