Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Back braces on soprano

Saturday, June 13, 2020

Back braces on soprano

I make my backs differently from most builders. Rather than bracing the back and glueing it on I mount the braces first and then the back plate. 

I needed some bracing stock with the right grain direction so I chose this piece of square section spruce with a tight grain structure. Using the Pax rip saw I split it into three triangular pieces. 

Rip sawing is very satisfying. 



Here they are, before I refined them with a plane. I made a planing jig to hold them, I’ll post a pic next time I use it. 



I arch my backs. The rim is already planed down to match a spherical radius dish, and after glueing in the kerfed lining strips I take the whole assembly to the dish. It’s clad with sandpaper and makes everything match the same curve. 

The braces are planed to the curve and finished in the dish, the pic shows me rubbing a pencil on the curved edge so I can see the progress during sanding. 



Using a wee saw I make notches in the lining to accept the braces. The notches goes in a kerf so the remaining pieces are equally big and offer support. That’s why the back braces of an Argapa can be slightly slanted. I’m sure many of you have noticed and wondered about that. 



The first brace is glued and clamped with my small Japanese bar clamp. 



And here’s the back of the resonator. The scribbled words on there shows my planning skillz. 




No comments: