Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Neck work

Sunday, June 7, 2020

Neck work

I’ve spent some time with the necks. The reso gets the alder neck I found in that lump of wood from a few posts back. The mahogany soprano gets a mahogany neck, natch. 

In the first pic you can see me using my Japanese kiridashi carving knife. It is insanely sharp, provided I take care of it. 



Attacking the mahogany neck blank with my Pax rip saw. I really enjoy using the right tool for the job. Roughing out the neck blank is much faster with a coarse saw, no marks will remain for long anyway so why waste time with a smaller saw. 



I found some rasps I bought a while back so I used one of them for the entry point. I saved a bit more of the heel this time, it’ll form a nice curve. 



After making an exit point at the nut end I shift to the wee spokeshave to make the profile. 

I spent more time and used more tools. But didn’t take any more pics. Sorry about that. 



And look at this. Both ukes have their necks on. The reso uses a bolt on system with a machine screw and barrel bolt, the soprano has my new fangled method with a cross grain dowel. 




No comments: