Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Onwards and upwards

Thursday, March 25, 2021

Onwards and upwards

I managed to keep going. Last night I took the back braces down with a plane and the curved sanding dish, then I strapped the uke down on the solera and glued the back on. 



I use a caul to distribute the pressure and thin wooden slats to apply the right amount of force, and I left it over night. 



Then the 1 3/4” chisel shaves the edge down. I used a knife for some parts but the chisel is very versatile. Holding it like this gives me great control. 



To get at the glue and to even out any facets from the chisel, I use my multi-radius sanding block. Didn’t bother with the elaborate clamp for the sandpaper though, just reached for some tape. 



Tonight I started on the fret slots. The jig is held in place by the styrene rods that’ll become the fret markers. 



And I saw the slots with my Stewmac saw. 



From rods to markers, then. Just a shave with a Berg chisel. 



Before the frets go in it’s good practice to hit the slots with a triangular file. The fretwire will seat better and go in more easily. Just a couple of strokes in each slot. 



The last slot from sawing won’t house a fret, it’s the front edge of the nut shelf. The aforementioned Berg chisel plays ball, even cutting sideways through the grain it gives a perfect surface. 



Then I reached for the shellac. I always put a few coats on the fretboard before fretting and thought it was time. But it wasn’t - not everyone likes the smell so I can’t do that in the apartment before bedtime. Tomorrow morning it is. 

No comments: