Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Piccolo progress

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Piccolo progress

When the frets are in place and the nut ledge cut I turn my attention to the bridge. This setup in the first pic gives me the height, this time it was around 8 mm. 



I mark on a piece of tape the extended lines of the edge of the fretboard. This helps me place the bridge where it needs to be. 



Here’s the bridge with tape all around it. Before glueing, I drill the holes for the A and G strings. With brads through the holes the bridge won’t slip. 



The brads were replaced with sewing needles, remember this tiny house lacks most tools but is packed with sewing supplies. 



Then I use the divider to mark the location for the E and C strings. The divider is of course a Ken Timms tool. 



I drill the holes at an angle so it’s easier to feed the strings through to the soundhole. 



Ever wondered why Argapa headstocks have parallel sides? Then take one look at this pic and realize it’s the sensible choice. I need the tuner holes so I can hang the uke up during finishing, but I’ll ream them later. 



And here we are this morning. About halfway through the French polishing process. 




No comments: