Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: And now for something completely different

Sunday, April 12, 2020

And now for something completely different

I found a slab of mahogany and an old drawing of an electric guitar I drew long ago. So I thought, what the heck, I should build this. 

First I sliced off a wedge to get the edge parallel to the grain. 



Then I planed the edge flat and square with a Stanley no.7, whose only fault is it has the corrugated sole. I much prefer flat soles so I traded this for my dad’s no.6 with a flat sole. But I started this at the cottage where my dad keeps his planes so I used it. It’s more crucial to me to have flat soled planes when I work with thin stock and that takes place at home. 



I ripped off a board which will form the through neck, and trued up the sawn edge to get it perfectly flat, square, and parallel to the first. 



Then I routed channels for the truss rod and two carbon fiber rods. I used my Proxxon rotary tool in a plunge router base. It is a bit small but got the job done after multiple passes. 



This pic shows the carbon fiber rods being glued in with epoxy. The masking tape stopped a deluge but it still got messy. I kind of hate the stuff but sometimes it’s needed. 





Trigger alert: next pic shows chisel abuse. 







This is not one of my nice chisels. Here I’m using it to pare down the carbon fiber rods to the surface of the neck blank. 

And you’re right, I’m back home in the dungeön workshop. 



I’m going to show you some ukulele building action as well, we can’t have post number 1000 to be guitar oriented. 

No comments: