Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Yet another traveller finished

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Yet another traveller finished

Another one is done! But I will backtrack just a bit to show you how I made the bridge. First pic is a wooden ruler resting on the zero fret and a 2.5 mm drill bit lying at the 12th. Then I measure the gap with a new Japanese wedge shaped ruler at the correct point. Tricky to hold in one hand in order to take the pic, but it shows around 6 mm. So fairly low. 



Then I cut a wee block from a slightly larger chunk of cherry. Rip saw, natch. 



These miniature planes from Veritas are great. Sold as novelties bu I use them a lot. This shoulder plane is my favourite but the wee router plane is great too. 



And clamping. Stages not shown include drilling for string rod and tuners, shaping tuners and reaming holes, and finishing. 

Also the hardest part of all, drilling the string holes above the zero fret. I can’t think of a jig for that so I do it freehand and hope for the best. 



Done. Front...



... back...



... and stamped. The ZS means it’s not been touched by sandpaper. All surfaces are made with sharp cutting tools. 



Oh, and this guy. Ambitiously carved and dyed towards the cherry red of yesteryear. 



I think it’ll be killer. 




No comments: