Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Progress on the electric guitar

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Progress on the electric guitar

So I made some progress on the builds I have on the bench. The travel uke seems very small compared to the guitar. 

I made a radiused fretboard from a rosewood blank I had kicking around, using only handplanes and scrapers for the shaping, but did finish off with some fine grit sandpaper. 



Then I had to nip out to the cottage where the larger of the wee bandsaws is. The small one in our apartment wasn’t up for it. I rough shaped the through neck with a series of cuts. I put index pins in the underside of the fretboard so I could put that in its exact place to check everything. 



Then I put the rest of the body on. It’s all from the same board, and the grain means the difference in angle will probably not show too much. The middle piece is cut at a 3 degree angle in relation to the neck and I put the body wings on parallel to the resulting surface. That’s clear innit, ah you get it or you don’t. 



Back home and starting out with the no.5 plane to get everything level. I cut the contours on the bandsaw of course. 



And this is from carving the neck. I think this’ll work rather nicely. I had some trouble with drilling for the wiring and got this great idea that I’ll get to use during the next build. If I remember it then. It involves the jack and a very long drill bit. 




No comments: