Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Binding

Monday, January 14, 2019

Binding

It was time to bind the top of Li’s soprano. I bind spruce topped instruments, but those of single hardwoods I don’t always. 

First I trimmed the top flush with my wide chisel. 



Then I scribed the edge with my self made gramil. I have experienced tear-out on spruce and this helps prevent that. 



I aimed for a single piece of mahogany but the grain direction made one end of it snap so I ended up with two halves. 



Here’s the first one in place. Glueing with Titebond is nice, you have a much better open time than with ca glue. 



And both halves glued and taped, left overnight to dry. 



I am pleased with the result. If I have small gaps I can often remedy them with some spot heating and re-taping, but this time I won’t need to faff about with that. 




No comments: