Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Li’s soprano finished

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Li’s soprano finished

We decided it was shiny enough but way too quiet. Time for bone bits and fishing line!

First pic is me getting the height of the saddle dialled in. A 3 mm drill bit at the 12th fret gets it there, along with a Hultafors wooden rule. 



Then laying out string positions and string holes through the bridge. Divider by Ken Timms, natch. 



Filing the saddle for compensation. Vise from Stewmac. 



I had a set of Wittner fine tuning ukulele pegs to try out, that I got as a promo gift from Wittner. I decided to spoil my daughter with them. They have no thread like Pegheds, just a press fit taper. My reamer from Metmusic had the exact taper. 



And here they are. The mahogany grabbed them fine, so I went without glue. I was considering Titebond, not CA. I really like the Wittners. The thread on Pegheds can be tough to fit - ream too much and it won’t grab, ream too little and you’ll be forced to grab the peg with pliers to turn them, and the pliers can easily crush the thin wall of the peg. [Don’t] ask me how I know. 

Note the scruffy side of the headstock. That is intentional. Li often teases me for my scruffy sideburns and I wanted her to have a uke that is similar to me. 



And here she is. My wonderful daughter. I am so proud to be her dad. 




No comments: