Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Argapa 116 finished

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Argapa 116 finished

Good mooorning Vietnam..! Long time no see. This morning I set out to finish the one that’s been on the bench like forever. The shellac finish was finally good enough and has hardened. This is how I started out. 

Note the handle on the reamer. 



I rounded off hhe fret ends with the special file. Cost a lot of money that file, but it is a fine tool and worth every öre. 



Then I reamed the first hole for the peghed tuners. It is tricky to get the holes perfectly sized, thinks I. But I got there. 



Here it is with all four tuners installed. 

Note the handle on the reamer... after installing the first tuner the handle wouldn’t turn without hitting it. So I had to cut the handle shorter. No biggie but extremely annoying. Yes biggie actually. 



Then I marked out where to drill the string holes through the bridge, starting out with the A and G string positions. The inner two are marked with my Ken Timms divider, that I’ve shown you before. 



I countersink the holes with a wee round router bit in the pin vise. 



The bone saddle, compensated for the C string. I did some tweaking for the E string later too. 



I made the bone nut and filed the string slots with the aid of my nut vise. The same reasoning as for the fret end file applies to the vise - costly but worth it. 



The offset tuners and the scruffy peghead edges. They’re meant to remind Chris of me, his somewhat scruffy pal. 



And ta-daa! It is done. Bine inlay and all. It sounds big, or as we* say at Argapa: one size löuder. 


*I


1 comment:

Howlin' Hobbit said...

that rosette is fabulous! did you make this one for a fan of the TV show, The Prisoner?