Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Resawing

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Resawing

Hi all! Hope your days in quarantine don’t feel totally wasted, and that you’re staying safe. I’ve worked from home for a couple of weeks and will continue to do so. As everyone says, I’m not worried for myself but it’s important we all do what we can to protect those that are at risk. 

But for the weekend I rented a car and drove to the cottage with my boy Johan. There we finally got the chainsaw log mill up and running. It’s a quality product from the nice folks at Logosol, a great example of a Swedish innovation-driven company. 

In the first pic my brother makes the first cut on a wee test log. 



But we moved on up from the first log and got to processing amuch bigger one. It was straight and fairly even in thickness so I opted for resawing it in quarters. 

The first cut took a while. 



The halves were cut to quarters and then boards were sliced off from the sides, alternating the position between each cut. This gives boards of different widths, but the effect was somewhat negated by two circumstances. First, the core not being in the centre. The Southern side was predictably wider in growth and that gave us a more consistent yield. Secondly, we cut off the bark edge of the boards after slicing them all. Then we decided upon three widths for the boards so they were in groups rather than all different from each other. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better looking pile of boards. No commercial mill produces 100% quarter sawn lumber. But...



... of course I forgot to take pics of that pile. Sorry!

2 comments:

Henning said...

Hi Sven, when I see this I get a lots of questions:
Is that spruce or what, please?
Do you intend to use this in your instrument building?
How long time do you expect the wood to dry until you can start using the wood?
How do you intend to dry the wood?

Maybe you havn´t decided that yet and maybe it even is company secrets. ;)

Sven Nyström, Argapa said...

Hi Henning! This exact log won't be turned into instruments, but I'll use it to extend the larger workshop. I'm always on the lookout for good timber though, when I find a spruce tree with tighter growth rings I'll put it aside to dry after resawing it.