Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Progress on diverse projects

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Progress on diverse projects

Sometimes I find the right tree in the wrong place. This fine fir tree was at the far side of the peninsula where my cottage lies, it went down in a storm and as we set out to sort some of the mess out I saw it was straight and with very fine grain count. 

But it was far to big to drag through the forest. So we towed it back with the boat. 



We (my brother and I) quartered it with the chainsaw mill. Look at that grain. Also, it reeks of turpentine from the pitch. 



Now it’s drying. See you in a few years. 

I can’t say I’ll use this for acoustic instruments, wood like this is better suited for windows and other parts. But who knows, a scrap piece or two might make it to a reso. 



And I finally shipped the three ukes I finished recently. The boxes look a bit tatty but that’s just the outer of two boxes with bubble wrap in between. 



So, onwards. I’ve been contacted by a pair of twin brothers in Scotland. They want resos, and one of them would like a tenor scale. I’m on the fence but might try - it would make direct comparisons more difficult. 

Both twins refer to the other as the evil one. I don’t know what to make of it, to play it safe I’ll have to please them both. 



Last pic is of the two skeletons. I still get a kick out of assembling these. 




2 comments:

Frazer said...

Looking great Sven! I admit it, I’m really the evil twin.......
Frazer

Sven Nyström, Argapa said...

Heh, I knew it. Hiding behind the obvious suspect who wants a tenor scale. In the calmest of waters...