Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Prögress on resos and a traveller

Thursday, September 3, 2020

Prögress on resos and a traveller

I found an alder blank at the cottage, and thought I might as well go ahead and start it up. Since brad point drill bits have a, well, brad point they tend to leave a bottom with a lot of holes. So I tried doing it with a plug drill. That left plugs and some wood in between so I chopped it out with chisels. 



I left the vice and used my sturdy workbench instead. 



And after the hole was cut I could mark out the contours and saw it out on the bandsaw. I made a new drive belt but I suspect it won’t last any longer than my previous one. 



Back home it was time to bend sides for the resos. I planed the dowels down while the iron was heating up. 

Often when I work I realize that I forget exactly how to do certain things, between builds. But this one I remembered - do not plane the dowels lengthwise. You will mess the plywood up at the last stroke. Instead, plane across the dowels. 



At the waist I needed one of my tiny planes. This won’t mess any plywood up. 



The bending went alright. The pine was trickier than the alder but I think both will turn out nicely. 




No comments: