Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Tops and rims on the twin resos

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Tops and rims on the twin resos

It was time to take the rims down to height. Especially the alder one was way too high, almost tricking me into reaching for a saw. But I went with the humongous chisel instead, paring it down with very satisfying results. 



Then I rubbed them on a sanding plate. I want all sides to be dead flat before glueing the tops and backs. 



I’ve made so many resos by now that I have jigs and templates for most steps. Here you see me marking the center of the sound ports, with a piece of perspex. Another one is in the big well for the cone, giving me the center spot for the 150 mm hole.  



And here I’m cutting out the large hole with my circle cutter. I love it so much. Look up Micheal Connor, master tool maker. But don’t do it if you’re worried about paying realistic prices for handmade, top-quality tools. Tip: it’s so worth it. 



I need cleats to hold everything in place, so I use the only short length of kerfed lining strip these ukes will ever see. One by one the segments are superglued in place around the perimeter. 



And here’s where we’re at. I’ve cut out the pieces of steel mesh which are going to be glued in place, but can’t mix the epoxy now. My wife does not like the smell and the workshop is right next to our bed room. I’ll do it tomorrow before shuffling to the day job with a heavy heart and a hunched back. 




No comments: