Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Fretboards

Thursday, October 29, 2020

Fretboards

I picked out ebony fretboards for the Li’s soprano and the soprano reso. The tenor reso gets a walnut fretboard. There were some scratches from the drum sander so I hit them with the Mirka vacuum sanding pad. 



Then I planed the edges with my Stanley no.6. This is important as it must fit along the edge of the template and be snug in the jig. 



And forget about double-stick tape. Last time I used it it messed up the surface of the template and the goo is still there. Now all cool luthiers are using the masking tape and superglue trick. Matching strips of tape on the piece and the jig, rub them down with something hard (most often the base of the glue bottle), then some drops of glue on one part and a shot of the accelerator spray on the other. Press together and it sticks stronger than double-stick tape and won’t leave sticky residue. 



The fret saw jig takes less than two hours to set up, but not way less. It was quite expensive and it’s cumbersome to use, and right after I bought it they made an upgraded version with roller bearings and thumb screw adjustments. I like the template but it needs two small strips of thin plywood wedged in to keep the setup rigid. You can see a strip in the top corner. 

So all things considered, not a great piece of kit I’m afraid. 



Doing the actual sawing takes 10 minutes. 



And speaking of fretboards - it’s no good keeping a bunch of faulty ones taking up space in the workshop. I got these from a well meaning dude in Italy six years ago, he’d bought them from a supplier but found the scale length to be shorter than what he wanted. So he sent them to me as I was dabbling with piccolos. But sadly they were crap, the frets were placed all wonky. 

So I put them to better use this weekend... 



... and grilled a side of ribs from a deer I bagged last week. 




2 comments:

Slapheid said...

Amazing amount of work that goes into your instruments Sven. I'm really enjoying the blog and looking forward to getting the reso.

Just out of interest the deer you bagged didn't have a red nose did it? My 9 year old is looking forward to Christmas .......

The Good Twin

Sven Nyström, Argapa said...

Ha ha, no red nose on that one I assure you. About 50 of them broke free from a breeding farm and formed a wild herd on the island where I spend all my free time, so we're learning how to manage them and regulate the numbers.