Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Happy new year etc, and updates

Friday, January 1, 2021

Happy new year etc, and updates

Fanx to all of you who’s been reading the blog, getting in touch and over all supported me and the beast that is Argapa ukuleles during 2020. Apart from some stuff it’s been a great year. 

The first pic shows me dividing the distance between two points in four, I wanted the string guiding tube and the tuners to be equidistant. I failed for some reason despite the divider, but the tuners got correct in relation to each other. 



The tuner holes are angled, thanks to my super jig. Looking like scrap wood (it is scrap wood) it tends to get lost among pieces of scrap wood. But I found it. 



Then my Record shoulder plane was enrolled for making the bridge. When in doubt, use a larger plane. 



I had to leave the workshop to be with my family, it was after all Christmas Eve, but I brought glue and clamps and fixed the bridge in the living room. 



And the shellac then. It has hardened and I gave it a quick rub with fine steel wool to remove swirl marks and blend it all together. Once I’m happy with the satin look I reach for my Festool ROS...



... and get working with polishing compounds. Different foam pads give radically different results. I suspect a person could learn quite a lot about lacquer, sanding and buffing. If said person could be, you know, arsed. 



Happy new year! Nothing new will happen with Argapa ukuleles. And that’s the point. 

2 comments:

Slapheid said...

Happy New Year Sven

Love the look of the wee traveller uke and enjoying once again your build methods :-)

My evil twin and I are playing 'guess the reso' from the pics trying to work out which one is getting polished.

Looks like severe lockdowns heading our way in the UK so y'all stay safe in the land of Forests, ABBA, Ace of Base, meatballs, flat pack furniture and ice hockey (I feel that's enough stereotypes for one post)

Hots mon och aye the noo! I'm having a heart attack and ma teeth have all fallen oot due to ma terrible diet of sugar and haggis (There's some Scottish ones for ye to even it out)

Cheers

The Good Twin

Unknown said...

Love the penultimate comment :-)