Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: A speedy piccolo build

Monday, March 22, 2021

A speedy piccolo build

I got some mojo shock yesterday and really wanted to knock out a piccolo. 

I planed down the rim piece to 1.5 mm, it took a while but I didn’t feel like whipping out the drum sander. Plus I feel I connect to the wood when I use a hand plane, this time my Record no.5. 



The piccolo have such small radii that the rim needs to be thinner to bend well. It went alright, and any wonkiness I just blame on the original wee uke I made the templates from was anything but symmetrical. 



Keeping to hand tools I cut out the top and back with a coping saw that I got from a flea market. 



Soundhole, cut with my half kilo brass rosette cutter. 



End block went in yesterday evening. This morning I glued in the kerfed lining strips in the rim before I went to work so it would cure while I was away.



Next pic, the rim glued to the top on the solera. 



On to the neck! I planed the fretboard and the peghead surfaces flat and true to each other. On of the tasks I sort of wish took a while longer, because I enjoy planing. 



Marking out with a centre find rule, a machinist’s square, a sliding bevel and a saddle square. 



Then the Pax rip saw makes short work of taking it down towards width. 



A sharp Mora knife with a scandigrind wedge grind will cut through almost any wood in almost any direction, one exception being wenge which is slightly harder than glass. 



And carving the profile, here with my ancient Miller Falls cigar spokeshave. When it’s properly set up it is a uniqe tool, doing what no other spokeshave could. 



If I stayed upp all night, or stayed home from work tomorrow, this thing would be almost done on Wednesday. But I have other stuff to deal with and will leave it like this, at least until tomorrow morning. 

No comments: