Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Old guitar in for repair

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Old guitar in for repair

My friend bought this ancient guitar at an auction, and I’ll have a look at it to try to fix some more or less obvious issues. It’s at least 100 years old so I will tread carefully. 



The brand is ”Nya Musikinstrumentfabriken Göteborg” and the instrument is very similar to the parlour guitars from Levin. 



Issue 1. A crack in the top with the accompanying loose brace. The top is on the thicker side and the crack is fairly tight so pretty easy [in theory].



Issue 2. The bridge. Not only is it lifting, it has the fret wire saddle and the peg holes are worn. Plus it might be in the wrong place, I haven’t measured it yet. Maybe it can be fixed, maybe I’ll make a new bridge. 



Issue 3. A crack in the headstock, plus the tuners are wonky and mismatched. Might need to change them. 



Issue 4. The neck most likely needs to be reset. I’ve done this to a couple of cheapos but need to stock up on better equipment to do a clean job. 



Issue 5. The back of the neck has been… run over by a lawnmower? Used to parry sword blows? We’ll becer know but it will have to be at least sanded but probably carved. Then stained and lacquered. 



This’ll be fun. I will use it as an excuse to learn how to work with hide glue, and I will rewatch all Woodford’s vids on youtube. 

No comments: