Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Sanding, and more sanding

Monday, September 23, 2019

Sanding, and more sanding

It was time to take on some of that wood I resawed this summer. Old mahogany, some cherry and a bubiga fretboard blank I had kicking around. Out came the Jet 10-20 drum sander. I don’t use it that often but when I do I try to prepare a bunch of stuff at one time. 



The problem is my roll of sandpaper isn’t great. It tears itself up and it’s also too wide. So I need to cut it to width and make the tapered ends. Below you can see how I reinforce the ends with some tape. But it breaks anyway. 



Sanding something this large takes a while. Feed rate is slow and it takes many passes. 



I couldn’t find my roll of finer grit paper* so I finished with my Festo random orbital sander. That turned out quite nicely. 



I’m thinking two mahogany sopranos and two cherry piccolos. But I need to tidy up the bench first. 



And I made a new biscuit for a resonator that’ll be strung low G. 



*I found the roll when I put the ROS away. 

No comments: