Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Neck work

Friday, May 22, 2020

Neck work

I started on a resonator, as you know from that resawing post. That ash wood comes from my own bit of land, and after I made a few fretboard blanks from elm from the same place I thought it’d be nice to use something similar for the neck. Alder’s good and I was sure I had some kicking around. 

The big board I was thinking of turned out to be a piece of American alder from the lumber yard, so I went rummaging through another pile. 

And came up with this:



A sturdy chunk that has been air dried for several years. It still needs some time indoors but I thought I should see if there was a neck in there somewhere. 

First the planer. 



Then the band saw. With a new blade it works perfectly, best flea market find ever. 



Marking, cursing, re-marking. Then slicing. The wide blade doesn’t really let me cut curves but it’s doable. 



Ta-daa! Maybe I should bake it? To make it all dry and fancy. 




No comments: